One of the most common questions that our Member Service Team is asked is, “Do I still need to maintain separate cover for ambulance services?”
The answer to that is “No”, you do not need to maintain any ambulance cover if you’re covered by any one of our hospital products: Top Cover, Prime Choice or Smart Starter (includes hospital products with an excess).
We understand that the reason for the confusion is because ambulance services are not covered by Medicare, unless you live in Queensland or Tasmania where costs are covered by the government. This means that not having appropriate cover in any of the other states will result in a hefty bill if you use this crucial service.
What your membership covers
As a member covered under any of our hospital polices, and subject to any excess relevant to your policy, you will receive ambulance cover* all across Australia, when:
- an ambulance is called to attend to you but you are not subsequently taken to hospital
- it is medically necessary for you to be transported by an ambulance to be admitted to hospital
- you need immediate medical attention at a hospital or other approved facility
- you are an admitted patient and need to be transferred to another hospital
Unlike other funds, we do not restrict ambulance coverage to only emergency transportation or a limited number of services per year.
The Doctors' Health Fund advantage
The provision of ambulance services varies based on the schemes in each state and territory. Issues can arise where someone is covered within their home state but requires ambulance transport from or within another state. This could be when visiting another state or residing near a border – south-east Queensland for example. As Doctors’ Health Fund covers ambulance costs nationally, you can have complete confidence that you are covered in any of these circumstances.
Submitting a claim on your ambulance cover
To make a claim on your ambulance cover, simply send the invoice you’ve received to us via:
- Doctors' Health Fund mobile app for Android or iPhone
- Email - email@example.com
- Fax - 02 9260 9958
- Post - PO Box Q1749, Queen Victoria Building, Sydney NSW 1230
*Doctors' Health Fund does not pay ambulance cover where a State or Commonwealth scheme provides a benefit. For more information, visit http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/whatiscovered/ambulance.htm